(please note that if you ordered some dry grains, they will need some adaption time before fermenting)
- Boil 1 ½ liter water and stir in ½ dl sugar (I only use raw cane sugar, but you can use white cane sugar as well)
- Allow to cool to room temperature (21-26 degrees Celsius)
- Pour into a vessel
- Add the water kefir grains
- Allow to ferment in a dark place for 24-36 hours
- Strain and pour the liquid into another vessel for a second fermentation
- To flavor your drink, add fruits (apple, ginger, apricots, etc…), the only limit is your imagination! (we would love to see your creations, tag us on Instagram or Facebook!)
- Allow to ferment on the counter for another 24 hours. (be careful when opening it, it can be “explosive”!)
- Refrigerate and enjoy your refreshing shot of probiotics
- Restart the procedure for a new round!
Tips: The longer you ferment, the less sweet the drink will be. After the first ferment, the drink might smell a bit like “egg”, but this disappears with the second fermentation. It might mean that the first fermentation was too long.
Take a break from it: Put the grains in a jar with the same amount of sugar and water quantity and store in the fridge. They can survive a long time on this, but might need some batches to regain their entire strength once you need them again).